Sunday, September 21, 2008

Dancing Baptists!

Again, first things first, I believe that I should let you in on some big praises and answered prayers! Now a month in, Elise and I have remained healthy as ever and are optimistic about it staying that way. We also met a few other Americans last week that work at an orphanage called Rafiki only a couple of miles away. They are all very sweet and have offered to have us over any time we like! I firmly believe that God knew that my social personality couldn’t do this alone and He has surely provided me with the companionship that I need to keep going! Thanks for those prayers!

“Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp.”
~ Psalms 149:3.
I think that I have a much better idea of what that really looks like after last Sunday. Elise and I were invited by one of the teachers that we work with to attend church with her at Shepherd Baptist. So, after hopping 3 different trotros (which come to find out, are what “cho chos” are actually called), we arrived at a school building with hard metal chairs, a pulpit, and few drums and a large red rug in the middle. Immediately I knew I was in for a treat. Most of the service was conducted in Twi, which is their common vernacular, but they threw in some English here and there to help us out. However, there is a language that needs no interpretation and that is DANCING! And that is what we did, sure enough, in the middle of that large red rug. We might have been worlds apart in language and background, but here we worshipped the very same Almighty God! Amazing. Plus, who needs workout videos when you tote children around everyday and have 3 hour dance parties every week?

Besides church, a few other highlights of this busy week have included, getting stuck in the mud trying to walk to the market, teaching the kids jump rope tricks, getting to the “good part” in Prince Caspian, the incredible storms, and celebrating our one month anniversary by finding a pizza place in Accra!

School is still challenging, but it makes the little improvements all the more exciting. More than anything though, I am beginning to understand that for these kids who have grown up with very little encouragement, my purpose as their teacher is to let them know that they are loved, smart and capable people! Besides that, if I can get them to use their manners and keep from hitting each other from 8:00 – 3:00, then it is a successful day!

On Thursday, a huge blessing arrived from America. Their names are Jim and Carolyn Driscoll and they are going to be long term missionaries here, helping to organize and run the home. The kids absolutely adore them and really respect them more as a mother and father figure, which has already helped in enforcing behaviors and setting schedules. It has also been a welcome change to have someone look after us as we look after all the little ones!

This week’s kid is a sassy little girl in my class. Her name is Tawiah and she is as loud and loving as they get! She is very smart, one of the brightest in my bunch, but can’t keep herself from talking and distracting everyone else. Somehow it’s hard for me to get onto her though, since she kind of reminds me of myself at her age! Please pray specifically for Tawiah this week, that she, with time, would learn how to channel her passions and energies!

Love,
Obruni

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsay,
Keep on doing what you do best, just being Lindsay!! I'm glad you found the red rug! I have a visual for that church service. haha
We are all praying for you and your kids each day. Always looking forward to your pics and blogs. Love you!!
Aunt Kimmy
I'll have to find a red rug for you when you get home!!

rburress said...

Obruni,

You're not as "white" as you used to be.
Is there a new word for you?

;-)

"Every tongue and tribe..."

our prayers for our dear Tawiah.
...and Lonnie and Tammy.

Cut a rug!

ricky

rburress said...

...you are loved...!

Nate said...

http://coe.arizona.edu/pages/enews/sep08.php

There is a short article that was written about Lindsay on the front page of the college of education's website. You can check it out at the above link.