Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Two Week Mark

Well friends, it has been 2 weeks now. The days are starting to get busier and the only thing that keeps them from absolutely flying by is my desire to see all of you!

The kids started school on Monday. My classroom consists of one corner of a large covered concrete gym, an old blackboard, and a few wooden desks. One thing is certain, I will never complain about a lack of materials in a classroom in America! As I mentioned before, I am teaching P3, but still do not have all of the books or materials necessary to teach. Also, the age range is more like 8 to 13. Hmmm. Normally, in America, I would be completely stressed out, but nothing seems to be of any urgency around here. We have met the other Ghanaian teachers and they are very sweet, but the lack of organization or motivation is unbelievable. It is not simply an issue with the school or orphanage though; it seems to be pretty common among the rest of the population as well. Frustration! Elise has recently gotten to witness my sarcastic side coming out, as that is how I seem to deal with this frustration best! Sarcasm, along with the occasional reading of Oh, The Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss. Both have been pretty therapeutic, but nothing has helped as much as the further understanding of what it means to really abide in the Lord; to remain or endure in Him. It is one thing to say it, and another thing entirely to rely on it in every moment.

On a brighter note (no pun intended) we finally got some electricity this week. It comes on at about 6:00 pm and turns off at about 10:00, but we are usually in bed by then. The running water is still minimal. My roommate and I dart for the shower anytime we hear the generator running. Despite the occasional shower though, it remains absolutely impossible for me to obtain clean feet. I know that many of you may know my tendency for “grocery store feet” but you really have no idea!

Some other highlights of the week have included showering in the rainwatching the Ghana vs. Libya soccer game on the tele, catching bubujas (fireflies), riding a cho cho (their public transportation), putting flying beetles on a string, and watching the Little Mermaid with the kids. They have a small TV in the dining hall and can watch movies on occasion, but I had to spend most of the movie explaining to the kids that we do not have mermaids in America.

Finally, I would like to start sharing with you about specific children that live at Have of Hope from time to time, with specific prayer requests for each. So this week’s child is a boy named Prince. He is 11 years old and we have immediately become buddies. He loves retelling me bible stories and is constantly asking questions about anything and everything. We have been able to share some sweet moments reading books on my porch, and he has an intense desire to learn. I think this is a child that has amazing potential, but is many years behind in his schooling, having arrived here only a year and a half ago. I ask that you pray that he will be provided with all of the necessary tools to not only carry on his education, but be successful and challenged; realizing his full potential.

I hope you are enjoying looking at the pictures I send over email, because I cannot seem to attach them to the blog over here. If any of you are not receiving those emails and would like to, send me a quick note at lindsay.hendrix@gmail.com.

Love,
Obruni

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What angels! I assume the blue and gold outfits are uniforms and DV colors too! We think about what you are doing at different times of the day and add 10 hours or so! Lauren and I were talking and she said, "I wonder what Linds is doing right now?" I said, "Hopefully sleeping soundly.." as I have been specifically praying for your rest. Don't you love fireflies? I grew up catching them in Texas. Again, we'd love to send you stuff if it is allowable, need an address and details when you get the scoop. I will be praying for Prince. Love, Kerry