Sunday, October 19, 2008

Break Time!

I am writing today having just completed the first half of the first term of my school year here at Haven of Hope! Only 4 more to go! I can’t believe how fast the time is going and can’t possibly comprehend how difficult it is going to be to leave these kids when the time comes. It has been such a joy, in just the two short months that we have been here, to see each one of the children begin to display their individual personalities with their funny quirks and attitudes. Even though the time has gone quickly, it has not been easy. This coming week we are receiving a much needed rest from the daily frustrations, the ups and downs of being in the classroom with these needy children!

School will be not be in session for the midterm break this coming week and we will have a chance to relax and do some fun things with the kids. One thing in particular, I am just as excited about as they are. On Wednesday, we are taking a trek to the beach! I am looking so forward to enjoying one of God’s most awe inspiring creations with them, some of whom have never seen the ocean before. It will be an amazing time of soccer playing, swimming, learning, and worship… and I can’t wait. And because I can’t wait, I have already begun preparations for our grand adventure. How? You may ask. Well, by painting all of the girls toenails of course! For the past few days in the afternoon, I have become the town pedicurist and I have enjoyed every tiny toe! It has been a great time to spend with the girls, pampering them and reassuring them that they are beautiful, loved by me and by God! They have just been eating it up, enjoying the one on one time and showing off their freshly colored toes to anyone who cares to listen. I know that I have enjoyed the one on one time just as much though. Fyodor Dostoyevsky once said, “The soul is healed by being with children”, and I think he nailed it! The sound of their laughter and the joyous chatter between themselves somehow helps to bring clarity to your thoughts, and delight to your heart.

Finally, this week’s child is Georgina. She is a gorgeous 10 year old girl who is a talented artist with a gentle spirit. She is a quiet leader among the girls and I pray that she will continue to grow spiritually and academically, setting a great example for the other children!

Thanks!

Love,
Lindsay

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lindsay:

Vicki and I absolutely enjoy your pictures and blog updates. God is doing amazing and wonderful work through you. Keep loving and teaching His children!

John

Fletch said...

You and your friend's toenails are bleeding. You might want to work on that instead of posting photos. Just sayin'.

rburress said...

"From loving hearts
to tiny toes,
there the love
of our God goes."

Thanks for "restoring the soul" of this admiring servant, albeit vicariously.

You are loved and prayed for.

ricky b.