Saturday, October 25, 2008

Facing the Waves

It is true that God chooses to speak to his children through a variety of avenues. He may choose to reveal Himself through a piece of art, literature, or music, through His creation, or even in silence. I have never in my life experienced His majesty so great though, as I have here through the lives of these kids. I am constantly being taught more and more about the character of God through tiny moments with the children.

This week at the beach was just as amazing as I had hoped. The kids were well behaved and we all had a blast. Besides sparing the Obrunis from our sunburns, we couldn’t have asked for anything more! There was one peculiar behavior that I noticed was common among all the children though. They all stayed in only inches of water and flopped around enjoying themselves wildly, remaining where they were comfortable, fearing the unknown. However, I decided to take one child at a time further out into larger waves. I have never felt such an unyielding grip on my arms as I did when they saw a wave, bigger than they were used to, heading towards us. There were seconds of terror followed by shouts of laughter and glee! All the while, the grip on my arms never loosened. After those first couple waves, they had full trust in me that I would not let them go. That is real faith! Clinging to the only one who can keep you from harm and trusting that they know what is best for you. More eloquently put, Oswald Chambers said, “Faith never knows where it is being led, but it knows and loves the one who is leading.”

Hebrews chapter 11 tells countless stories of regular people who, by faith, “conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions , quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength” (33-34). However, it also tells stories of numerous others who “were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection” (35). I pray that, while we may be clueless as to what our futures have in store, we will press on with full faith in our Creator, facing the waves and clinging tight to His arm!

This week, the child I want to share with you about is one that I have been particularly drawn to. His name is Stephen and he is 11 years old. He is an extremely lively and passionate boy with great artistic ability, leadership, and an unbelievable stubborn streak! Somehow I have been able to fight stubbornness with stubbornness and connect with him in a rewarding little friendship. He is very dear to me because I see that if his energy is directed at something positive, he has incredible potential! Please pray that God will continue to bless our friendship and guide him as he develops his various talents!

Thanks!

Love,
Lindsay

1 comment:

Noel said...

Always good to hear your stories, i enjoy them more than you know Ginz. Praying for you and thinking of you constantly. But that week 9 email was a little discouraging, it feels like 3 years.... love you