Sunday, November 2, 2008

Tricks and Treats!

Well friends, on Monday of this week I experienced a setback as far as the progress of my students. As usual, we have been getting a lot of rain, but this day we could see the clouds very dark and low in the sky for the majority of the morning. Reminding you of the fact that I teach in an open activity center with a tin roof and no walls, you can only imagine the kind of work that is (or is not) completed during times of rain. However, this particular day not only did we lose valuable class time, but a lot of our supplies as well. Sure enough at about 1:30, the rain came pouring down. Combined with the wind, the rain more or less flew in sideways through the activity center, showering my class, all of our textbooks, and many of the notebooks we use for exam notes. I was so frustrated! It wasn’t like we had much to begin with, and now what we did have was either damaged or ruined! I stood there soaked and defeated.

The next morning, I was able to gain some perspective on my situation as my devotional referred to the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 with just a few loaves and fish. At first glance I thought little of it since it was a story that I had heard a “million” times and I “obviously” knew everything about it. But after a little thought I realized the stupidity of my assumption and discovered much more. I so often limit God by not truly believing that He can do all He promises to do. If He was able to feed 5,000 hungry people with very little food, who am I to say that He can’t simply help educate 15 eager students with very little supplies? The rest of the week went well and much was accomplished with very little. Praise Him!

Other highlights of the week included teaching some of the boys how to play baseball, having a candlelit dinner club with our older kids due to power outages, trick or treating as ghosts at the other missionary’s homes, and enjoying our second of many dance parties in the dining hall (it would have made my roommates so proud)!

To finish, Bernice is our woman of the week! She is a beautiful 15 year old girl who is very gifted academically and has read nearly every book that I brought with me! Additionally, she displays a sincerity in her faith and a passion for her Savior that is unmatched by any girl her age that I have ever met, and even more so than most adults. Please lift her up this week, praising God for her life and asking him to utilize those gifts that she has been blessed with.

Love,
Lindsay

No comments: