Saturday, November 8, 2008

Poverty


Sometimes poverty is difficult to grasp when it’s such a far cry from the comfort and ease of the places we call home. Sometimes the idea of 22 percent unemployment leaves you speechless. This whole concept and what we can do about it is something that I have thought much about and struggled with for a long time, but even more so being here. Strangely enough I keep being brought back to a handful of lyrics from a couple different songs that coincide with scripture. Just something to think about…

SolutionHillsong United
“It is not a human right to stare not fight, while broken nations dream. Open up our eyes so blind that we might find the Mercy for the need! It is not too far a cry, too much to try to help the least of these. Politics will not decide if we should rise and be Your hands and feet!

Singing, hey now fill our hearts with your compassion. Hey now as we hold to our confession. God be the solution, we will be your hands and be your feet…

Only You can mend the broken heart, and cause the blind to see, erase complete the sinners past and set the captives free. Only You can take the widow's cry and cause her heart to sing, Be a Father to the fatherless, our Savior and our King. We will be Your hands, we will be Your feet, we will run this race for the least of these. In the darkest place, we will be Your light, we will be Your light!”


And believe it or not:

Man In the MirrorMichael Jackson
I’m gonna make a change for once in my life.
It’s gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right.

As I turn up the collar on my favorite winter coat this wind is blowing my mind
I see the kids in the street without enough to eat.
Who am I to be blind, pretending not to see their need?

A summer’s disregard, a broken bottle top, and one man’s soul,
They follow each other on the wind you know, cause they got nowhere to go.
That’s why I want you to know…

I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways.
And no message could have been any clearer: If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change!

I’ve been a victim of a selfish kind of love, it’s time that I realize.
There are some with no home, not a nickel to loan
Could it be really me, pretending that they’re not alone?
A widow deeply scarred, somebody’s broken heart, and a washed out dream.
They follow the pattern of the wind you see, cause they’ve got no place to be.
That’s why I’m starting with ME!


Please pray this week for Christian, who is an incredibly handsome 14-year old boy from the Volta Region of Ghana. From his positive attitude and huge smile, you would find it hard to believe that he was formerly enslaved in the Trokosi traditions, his father being a Trokosi priest. He has come so far and exudes such a joy that you are simply drawn to him! Lift him up this week, praising God for the young boy that he is and for the young man that he will soon become.



Love,
Lindsay

No comments: