Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas!

As I write this now, small beads of sweat are building up on my face and the closest thing to a Christmas tree is the green construction paper that is taped to our wall. Instead of being near friends and family, I am surrounded by 45 little black kids which 4 months ago were strangers, but now feel like my own. By all typical standards, it does not “feel” like Christmas. However, in many ways, separated from the inundation of the commercialization of the holidays in America, it feels more like Christmas than ever. The calm atmosphere of our remote village, the animals everywhere, the innocence of the children, the warm weather, and the brightness of the stars are all great indications of what it might have been like that first Christmas night. I am thankful for this new perspective I have been given on a holiday whose very origin defines my faith. That being said, please understand that I do not think that decorations, sugar cookies, and shopping are terrible things; we have strung snowflakes from the ceilings, poured sprinkles on doughy reindeers, and were able to purchase a variety of gifts for the children, thanks to the generosity of people at home. The only issue arises when their emphasis minimizes the importance of the baby in a manger. Needless to say, despite those that I miss at home, I am so appreciative of the opportunity to share in this Christmas season with these kids I cherish so much!

This week I ask that you pray for Bless, our second oldest in the home, at 16. I introduced her to you only a couple of weeks ago as she joined us on our excursion to the Volta Region. She is energetic, sarcastic, and has the most contagious laughter! In addition, she thoroughly enjoys attacking and tickling me until I can hardly breathe. I have loved getting to know this amazing girl and look forward to Christmas morning with her and the rest of the family!

Now…

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Love,
Lindsay

No comments: