Sunday, December 14, 2008

Success?

This week I fully intended to write a blog inviting you all to a huge pity party I was throwing for myself. After administering the student’s final exams this week I was ultimately very frustrated; however, on Thursday night I got a glimpse of my real purpose here and was again reminded of all that I have to be thankful for and those once insurmountable aggravations were quickly forgotten.

Every Thursday evening in November and December, we have been teaching the kids Christmas songs in the hopes that they may perform them for their mothers if they are able to visit during the holiday season. This week, after feeling emotionally drained and not desiring to teach a new song at all, I trudged down to the dining hall and set up the stereo. My spirits were lifted somewhat as I began to read them the words to “Do You Hear What I Hear”, traditionally one of my favorites. But the real joy came when I watched them sing the words themselves. Encircled by such beautiful children enthusiastically singing about the goodness and light that is brought to us by a sleeping child was more fulfilling than anything I could have asked for. Witnessing that was more rewarding to me than if every student of mine had passed their exams! I suppose I should learn to evaluate success by the standards of the Lord and the knowledge of His love, rather than the standards of the world such as wealth, fame..… and grades.

I want to introduce you to and ask for prayer for Bismark. I guess it is fitting that he be yet another one of my students! He really is a joy and I love him dearly, but he is an 8 year old boy and would much prefer running around catching lizards or playing hot wheels to sitting in school. When forced to sit in class however, he excels in math. He and Richmond are the dynamic duo in P3 and never allow for a dull moment in my class!

I am thinking of you all this Christmas season.

Love,
Lindsay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and we are thinking of YOU too this Christmas season, Miss Lindsay!!!