Sunday, January 18, 2009

Half Way There!

This week, I have a confession to make. While some may look at what I am doing here in Ghana as brave or noble, I have to admit that I absolutely love every minute of it and there’s nothing I’d rather be doing right now. In that regard, I feel completely undeserving of any praise, as I may be enjoying it all too much to consider it a sacrifice. However, on Friday I was humbled as I learned what it’s like to serve when you don’t particularly want to.

Due to the fact that our weeks are so busy, Elise and I cherish our weekends very much. For us, the weekend starts on Friday at 2, right after the bell! Last week though, Madam Salome, a Ghanaian teacher at our school had a death in the family and invited all of the teachers to attend the funeral for her aunt this Friday afternoon. We debated for some time about whether or not to go because due to commute time, it would take up the entire day. My own selfish attitude thought about how much I could get done during that time or how relaxing a few hours by ourselves would be. After a little coaxing, we decided to make the trek into Accra for the funeral to support Salome during her time of grief. It was the last thing I really wanted to do, but after seeing her face light up at our presence and recognizing her sincere appreciation for us being there, it was worth it. God does not call us to serve others only when it is enjoyable for us, but whenever he presents us the opportunity for service! Let’s jump on those opportunities!

The two boys this week are part of the reason I find little hardship in my service here in Ghana. As you can see from the pictures, their smiles pretty much melt away any anger, frustration, or difficulty I may have faced throughout the day and truly bring joy to my heart. Moses and Gabriel are both three years old and are loved not only by us, but also by all of the other kids here at the home. They are blessed with wonderful “older siblings” who enjoy torturing them as much as they enjoy hugging and kissing on them, but I ask you to pray that they are blessed as they grow up in this loving environment!

1 comment:

Jenna Liston said...

They are ADORABLE! There smiles just made my day :) Love and miss ya linds!