Sunday, January 25, 2009

Of Waakye and Reggae



“To the weak I became weak to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.” ~ 1 Corinthians 9:22

This verse has been one of particular significance to me for several years, but has taken on a whole new meaning since my arrival here in Ghana. While I do not boast any previous experience in missionary work or any degree in such a thing, it has been made very clear to me that in order to reach a people, you need to become like them. If I came to this country whose culture is so vastly different than my own and refused to learn their language, eat their food, ride their transportation, appreciate their music or attempt their dance, I might have saved myself from a lot of embarrassing moments, but I also would not have been able to develop relationships with their people. Elise and I have gotten to know several ladies in the local markets because we choose to do the majority of our shopping in nearby villages rather than at the mall, a location which would maybe be more comfortable for us. We have had countless encounters with the local people in tro tros who are shocked that the obrunis are joining them, but are eager to hear our stories. We eat dinner with the kids several nights a week and have even learned how to pound fried fish, pepper, and onions into a delicious sauce that you eat with yam! And even though it is extremely difficult and opens me up for endless ridicule, I try to learn phrases in Twi from the kids and let them teach me their favorite dance moves. While I thoroughly enjoy all of these things, I also believe that they let the kids here and Ghanaians elsewhere know that we care about them and their culture. Who wants to listen to what you have to say if they think your only purpose in being here is to change them?

Jesus set the ultimate example for us in the fact that He “made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” I have rarely heard a more difficult yet feasible challenge. If only we can selflessly humble ourselves to such a point!

In a musical interpretation of the great commission, Derek Webb puts it well.
“Take to the world this love, hope and faith.
Take to the world this rare relentless grace.
And like the three in one, you know you must become what you want to save,
‘Cause that’s still the way He takes to the world.”

This week’s child is Matilda, a sweet 9 year old girl in my class. She is precious and extremely smart, but also extremely chatty. She always finishes her work early and tends to distract the others. Please pray that we work together to find a way to keep her challenged and on task! She has also recently been struggling with an infection in her right eye that is affecting every area of her life, so pray as well for the pain to ease and for complete healing!

No comments: