Sunday, February 1, 2009

Harmattan

When I come home, one of the first things that I will do is stand in a blistering hot shower for a very long time. Why, you might ask? Besides the fact that our faucet trickles cold water, the weather here in Ghana has been quite strange recently. In fact, I have never seen anything quite like it. The evenings are cooler and the days are still hot and humid, but there is a constant haze in the sky like the morning fog never lifts. This all started a couple weeks ago, around the same time that Elise and I realized our apartment was getting disgustingly dirty really quickly. Finally, when we asked what was going on, someone explained to us that every year during the dry season when the winds pick up and the weather cools down, sand from the Sahara desert gets blown all the way down here. That being said, I thought I was getting a tan when I realized it’s only a layer of sand from the Sahara. Some things you just don’t get used to.

This week I began teaching my kids about the eye and how it works. We used a spoon to simulate how the lens flips things upside down and made 3D paper-maché diagrams of an eyeball! I gave the Wednesday morning message at chapel and made the kids do the YMCA, but with LOVE. I played a lot of basketball and got a lot of letters from pre-pubescent boys. I read some, cleaned some, and cooked some. I was frustrated and stretched, overjoyed and blessed. I went to the youth chapel at Calvary Baptist, which is outstanding, and now I’m ready for another week. “Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.” ~ Psalms 51:12

Dua is our boy this week. He is 11 years old and is extremely shy but has been really coming out of his shell recently. He’s very smart and is the fastest at the home (which is no surprise considering he has the longest lankiest legs in the world!). He’s also great with the toddlers and has an enormous heart! Please keep him in your prayers this week!

No comments: