Sunday, February 22, 2009

Where's Waldo?

I never thought I would feel so comfortable being in a position where I stick out like a neon zebra!

For the past two weeks, I have been singing in the temporary choir (while the regular members get a break) at Calvary Baptist Church, the church that we attend in the city. I am one of two white people in the choir and only one of five in the whole congregation. It has been such an exhilarating and eye opening experience for me. First of all, I love being in a position to watch a congregation of several hundred Ghanaians worshipping in a manner that is more free and uninhibited that I have ever witnessed before. There are so many things that often stand in our way of expressing our worship to God so unreservedly. If any of you are anything like me and even the slightest bit honest with yourself, you may worry about any variety of things: who is standing next to you, what they may think, or what they may say to other people after church? Am I acting too conservative, too charismatic? Do I appear authentic, or will others think I’m faking? Or best of all… how do I look? Sometimes it can be just as hard or harder to focus on God in church than anywhere else. I know that there have got to be concerns of a similar nature here and all over the world, but it is apparent that those superficial concerns are of far less value to the people here. Then, in addition to enjoying the observation of that unrestrained and natural worship, I absolutely love the fact that I can also express myself so freely without fear of being judged. When there is less to hinder our communication with God and less junk fills our minds, the intimacy with Him is unreal! It is not our outward actions or appearance but the condition of our hearts that conveys our adoration. I hate that it has taken me so long to really realize that. Better late than never.

In a powerful song, “Clear the Stage” by Ross King, he describes what true worship looks like and in some cases, what it may take to get there.

“Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze if that’s the measure you must take to crush the idols.
Jerk the pews and all the decorations too until the congregation’s few then have revival.
Tell your friends that this is where the party ends; until you’re broken for your sins you can’t be social.
Then seek the Lord and wait for what He has in store and know that great is your reward so just be hopeful.
‘Cause you can sing all you want to. Yes you can sing all you want to. You can sing all you want to, but don’t get me wrong, worship is more than a song.”

This week, I’d like to introduce you to Attah. While I think that all of our kids here are beautiful in their own way, I think that she is a truly gorgeous girl. She is 11 years old, in P5, and almost too mature for her age. Please keep her in mind and in your prayers as you go through your week!

2 comments:

rburress said...

Amen!
You are loved.

r.

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Good Morning, Waldo ; - )! Loved the video! As I watched it, I was very aware of the total and utter joy being expressed. I was also somehow reminded of Whoopi Goldberg in Sister Act. Have no idea why - maybe something about being in SUCH a different place but totally learning to love every moment!
I am so thrilled to be in the groove of commenting on your blog. And, once again there was SOOOOO much in your words to inspire and motivate me.
1. This statement - 'when there is less to hinder our communication with God and less junk fills our minds, the intimacy with Him is unreal'!
2. The song, “Clear the Stage” by Ross King.
I long to find a community where these words are truly lived each and every day. Somehow, I don't know if that can happen in the United States or at least in my little corner. For example, I woke up very early this AM to get caught up. Sadly, this is usually my weekend routine - I am literally dashing around the house from room to room making sure the dishes are put away, the bills are paid, the clothes are washed, my budget is current, I have found time for my bible study and exercise and catching up on email. So, I get to your blog and realize immediately I HAVE too much and this results in 'too much to do'. More to pray about!
Love you forever - Laurie
P.S. You must be a great teacher because even at such a distance I am learning how to blog and now I am going to have to learn Itunes in order to download his amazing words!