Sunday, February 8, 2009

Breaking Down Walls

Again, we had a busy week! We went on walks, played with water balloons and bows and arrows, killed snakes, practiced our times tables, and welcomed two new kids into the Haven of Hope family! We had a blast, and then to top it off, Elise’s family arrived here in Ghana for a two week visit late Thursday evening.

However, in the midst of all the excitement I found myself extremely homesick for the first time since I have been here. As Elise showed her sister around the compound, I thought about all of the people at home that I would love to be able to experience what I am doing here. I got caught up in the moment and shed my fair share of tears. Visibly upset, I had to pull myself together and head to my classroom for the morning assembly. Because the kids are the most observant and blunt kids in the world, I was suddenly swarmed with attention and questions as to the cause of my tears. Instead of pretending I wasn’t sad, I decided to humble myself and explain to the kids that I was missing my family and friends at home. I believe my answer actually took them by surprise and they asked “Well then do you want to go home?” After I thought about it for a second, I realized it was an easy answer, “No”. While I miss you all very much, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am right where I am supposed to be, following God’s will for my life, whether I can see the purpose in it or not. And just when I thought I couldn’t see the purpose, a small bit was revealed to me. Through our discussions about how I was feeling about home, many of the kids opened up for the first time about their feelings about their home. Particular kids who have been very hard and guarded were able to see my humanity in my emotion and came around to sharing some of their thoughts, even if just for a short time. I am always blessed to see how God can use the moments that try us the most at the times when we question our purposes, to encourage others and in turn encourage us. He is faithful. God is good.

Seeing as though they are new to our home this week and are probably experiencing some homesickness themselves, I ask that you pray for Anna and Douglas, 8 and 11. Pray that their transition into the home and the school will be smooth and that the rest of our kids will be welcoming and supportive of them during this time. Our other child of the week though is Abigail Yawson. She is a 12 year old girl who walks with more sass in her step that anyone I have ever met. She gives great hugs and has a laugh that instantly makes you crack up. Her spunk and joyfulness are contagious, and I just pray that she learns to use them to spur others on!

No comments: