Sunday, February 15, 2009

Security or Service?

Monday through Wednesday of this week provided a much need respite from the daily stresses of working with these needy kids. I joined Elise’s family in traveling west of Accra to a town called Anomabo to enjoy a stay on the beach for a couple of days. The weather was beautiful, the waves were large, the food was great and the company was pleasant. I boogey boarded, read some books, listened to music, walked along the shore line, and watched the locals drag in their fish nets. All in all, it was a wonderful trip.

While I was gone, Carolyn, one of the other women here, offered to take my class for me. I prepared extremely detailed lesson plans for her and did everything short of threatening the kids that if they did not mind Miss Carolyn, they would have to deal with me when I got home. I have dealt with a number of trials with my students, some small and others much larger, but in the end, I love them dearly. The funny thing about my trip to the beach was that in the midst of my relaxation, I couldn’t stop thinking about my kids and how they were doing, whether or not they were obeying, and if they missed me. It was all too clear to me how much I missed them. As I sat on the lounge chairs and stared out at the sea, I realized that no matter how big my class is or how overwhelming it gets, how bratty the kids can be or how much they fight me, I love them and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If they were any better, I'd probably be bored. I know and have known for a long time that I am a person that NEEDS to be challenged. I thrive on the difficulty of my class. Complacency, security, safety, routine, and comfort are not words that excite me. God has placed in me a desire to be tested and stretched and pushed to the limits. It is then, at my breaking point, that I feel most alive. It is then that I am able to be used most effectively. I feel like it is in those situations that my pride is destroyed and my focus is really where it should be. Often times, whether it is intentional or not, I believe the church can stifle the passion in people by emphasizing things like security and comfort. Prayers to prosper us are often more common than the humble prayer to use us, no matter the cost. The places that need the influence of Christ the most are often the places that Christians are afraid to go. It is true that we are God’s children and he will never abandon us, but it is crucial that we understand that he promises us spiritual security, not always physical safety or financial well-being. He has big plans for us if we can put our fears aside and let Him take us where He wants to take us and challenge us like we need to be challenged! He promises us life and life to the fullest but we must make the choice to take advantage of that life. To live a fearless life of reckless abandonment with a full faith in God’s guiding hand is the greatest thing I can ask for!

Abraham is a young boy who demonstrates that fearless attitude in his everyday life! I can’t tell you how many times he fell off the skateboards they got for Christmas, or how many scars adorn his legs from climbing trees, playing football, or creating games of his own. All of the kids really display that zest for life and the passion to live it to the fullest; and it’s contagious. Abraham is a 10 year old in P4 and has been such a joy to get to know! I pray that he, and all of the kids, never lose that fearless passion to get the most out of life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

rburress said...

My Favorite of your Blog entries!

God grows us through pain, suffering, challenge and pressure, doesn't He?

Praise Him for His plan!

ricky

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Oh, my! I finally figured out that anyone can respond/leave a comment. So, here is my commitment to you.....I am going to respond to every blog you send. I have read them, cried over them, prayed for you, prayed for the children, been inspired, been humbled - you name it, Lindsay! But most of all, I have been BLESSED! I am so thankful to the Lord for this vicarious experience. I am also so thankful for your beach trip. Could it have been more beautiful?
Your words really spoke to me this week.....even at my ripe old age of 55 and even in my comfortable life, I totally lit up over your comments about the church stifling passion in exchange for security and comfort. This is TOTALLY TRUE..... "Prayers to prosper us are often more common than the humble prayer to use us, no matter the cost". It is totally clear to me why Christianity is as lethargic as it is! I have been visiting churches for almost 9 months now and though I have heard many a meaningful message and many an inspiring song, I keep asking 'Is this what Jesus told us to do?' and everyone looks at me like I am daft.
Well, let me step down off the soapbox now and tell you again how thankful I am to the King of Kings for you! Laurie Gargione