Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pool Times!

“Swimming, swimming in the swimming pool. Days are hot, days are cold, in the swimming pool. Side stroke, back stroke, fancy diving too….”

Sorry, that’s all I can remember… but that was part of a song that I sang when I took swimming lessons in the backyard of a big house with a funny lady who gave out Skittles, many years ago. In America, learning to swim and enjoying a relaxing day at the pool are things that we take for granted, along with many other things, because they are so readily available for us. However, here in Ghana where an underground pool is extremely hard to come by, we have been fortunate enough to expose our kids to the joys of a pool along with their first swimming lessons.

Thanks to a generous gift from back home (you know who you are), Elise and I have had the privilege of taking small groups of kids to a hotel pool in Accra for the past two Saturdays, and we will continue to do so until all have had the chance to go. It has really been a thrill to watch some of our kids, who with both feet on solid ground are as tough as they come, cling to you for dear life when brought out into the water. While the kids have been to the beach a couple of times before, the feeling of being completely submerged in water is something very foreign, and frankly quite frightening to them. In a funny way, this fear on their part has brought me a happiness that I did not anticipate. Due to their uncertainty with this new environment, the kids tend to express quite often and quite loudly that they need me… and feeling needed feels good. That is a satisfaction that I have never felt before, but I’m going to venture a guess that most mothers out there can relate. However, I must also say that I have been very impressed and proud of how quickly they have picked up the basics and how rapidly their confidence can return. It is such a fun experience that I am so glad to have the ability to share with them!

This week’s boy is someone who is quite precious to me, whose first impressions are not always the greatest, but who has a heart of gold! His name is Enoch and he is a 7 year old boy with more energy than should be contained in only one child. Though his attention span is not long and that often gets him in trouble, he wants so badly and tries so hard to do the right thing. He is a young boy whose character is solid and I can’t wait to see what the Lord does with him in the future!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!!! That is so neat that you got to do that. I hope and pray that things are going well and that you are starting to feel better! You are doing an amazing job with the kids-keep on filling up on the love that God has given to you so that it continues to overflow into them.

lauren anderson said...

What a fun opportunity!!! God is taking care of you and your time with His beautiful children. We are so proud of you, Lindz. Love.

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Greetings! I have been out of town most of this week and am just finally finding time to comment. So sorry! BUT! the good news is that I two fabulous quotes to share with you.....

"If nothing seems to go my way today, this is my happiness: God is my Father and I am His child"
Basilea Schlink (German religious leader and writer)

"What matters is whether the people we meet matter to us as much as they matter to God" Helen Roseveare (missionary to the Congo from 1953 to 1973)

Even though we cannot possibly comprehend the Lord's love for us, it certainly seems to me that your kiddos matter to you as much as they matter to God as evidenced by all that you are doing. May He continue to bless you with the energy and focus you need as your time in Ghana winds down.

What a lesson your blog holds regarding new experiences. It must be equally thrilling to God to watch those of us who are 'tough', cling to Him for dear life when we are in new territory. And, I can't help but wonder if the emotions you experienced when the students shout "I need you!" is what the Lord experiences when we recognize how desparate we are for Him.

To continue the parallel, I am sure the Lord is pleased when we quickly learn the basics and gain confidence.

If you aren't too overloaded, I will send a message by Chuck Swindoll to you about being on a bicycle built for two with Jesus. I have no doubt you will enjoy it and relate it to these pool moments with your precious kiddos.

Whether it is at a swimming pool or a swimming hole, how sweet it is to see our God at work through you in Ghana!

Prayerfully - Laurie

P.S. I wouldn't mind being a part of contributing to other needs you or the children have. Tell me how!

P.S. #2 Any more 'paining' taking place?