Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reflections...

Throughout the course of this past week, much of my time after school has been spent writing the final exams for the end of second term. I can hardly believe that that time has already come around… again. Having been here for nearly 7 months now, I find myself thinking more and more about coming home. However, in thinking about coming home, I find myself thinking even more about how much I will miss these kids that have been my whole life for so long. So along that line of thought, I’d like to share a short list of things that make me happy as I think about my time here so far.

- The greenness of Ghana
- A crowded tro tro playing country music
- Having a baby tied on my back
- The way the kids take care of each other
- Rainy afternoons
- Getting stuck in that afternoon rain
- The kid’s laughter
- When they talk really fast to each other in twi
- The white powder they put on their black skin after they bathe!
- Taking them on walks
- Teasing them and letting them tease me back
- Prince’s prayers
- Kwame’s laugh
- Abigail’s dance moves
- Gabriel’s dimples
- Bernice’s voice
- Stephen’s stubbornness
- Sylvester’s goals
- Reading bedtime stories
- The joy that is found in small pleasures
- Drawing Disney characters with them
- Being independent and learning how to get around in a foreign place
- Seeing the stars at night
- Dancing to High School Musical
- The look on a student’s face when they “get” something
- Hearing that student teach another student
- Super speedy worship music (with a double clap)
- Seeing bright white teeth outside my window at night
- Fried plantain and honey
- Our vegetable lady
- When the kids hold my hand
- Trying to kiss them goodnight as they pretend to hate it!

Fifi is our precious 10 year old boy this week. He is a rock solid kid who you can always count on and who can withstand more pain than most, but is as tender hearted and caring as any I’ve ever met. He is also a big help with the little kids and has a sweet spirit about him. Please pray that he will be encouraged and that his spirit will be lifted up and he grows in age.

2 comments:

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Dear Lindsay,
I always find it exhilirating (and at times, convicting) when I look through my prayer journals and retrospectively see Him at work. With that in mind and with only 12 weeks to go, here is MY top list of things you have said in your blogs that make me happy as I think (and pray) about your time there so far (some even before you left for Ghana)...

June 10, 2008 - How am I supposed to make any kind of a difference in the lives of these people who are of a different culture, race, religion, skin color, and economic status. I guess that my only comfort is that it will not be me who is making the difference, but God working through me.

July 19, 2008 - He said simply, "Don't you see, she's as bold as a lion" and then continued on to quote from Proverbs as well as Paul's second letter to Timothy.

September 29, 2008 - They constantly thank Him for waking them up in the morning and giving them a bowl of rice for lunch and dinner. They thank Him for the health of the little kids, and the chickens and goats. They thank Him for the chance to go to school and for our families letting us come here to stay with them. These children who have very little are the first to thank Him for every single thing that they do have.

November 22, 2008 - You get proposed to on a daily basis, even if you haven’t shaved your legs in weeks.

December 5, 2008 - I began to ask myself what it was that made these reunions different from those we had witnessed previously in Accra. As much as I tried to avoid the Sunday school answer, it was the only answer that made any sense. The difference was God. Even though they have struggled through poverty, prostitution, and despair, many of the mothers in the streets of Accra know God and believe in the sacrifice of His son. These families in the Volta Region, who participate in an idol worshipping, child enslaving religion completely devoid of the knowledge of the one true God, know nothing of love because God is love.

February 15, 2009 - It is true that we are God’s children and he will never abandon us, but it is crucial that we understand that he promises us spiritual security, not always physical safety or financial well-being.

Lindsay, I know the Lord Himself will say this when you see Him face to face but until then, here are my words to you...'Well done!' I pray that these words will bring peace to your heart and mind if you are ever wondering about the value of what you are doing.

Love you and the children much - Laurie

P.S. Did Abdul ever return home?
P.S. Why DO the kiddos put white powder on their faces ; - )?

Anonymous said...

I am sitting in class reading your favorite things, trying not to cry...simply joyous =)