Tuesday, April 14, 2009

CAMP

Over Easter weekend, I think that I experienced the widest variety of feelings in 72 hours that is humanly possible. I attended youth camp with over 160 other Ghanaians my age. We had prayer time, worship, speakers, bible study, alone time, outreach, and praise. Sounds like an average Christian camp, right? Wrong. I experienced hunger from fasting for 2 days, fatigue from 4:30am morning devotions, embarrassment from being called on all the time, loneliness from being the “new kid”, frustration from being the object of racism, happiness from making new friends, joy from exuberant worship, satisfaction from helping set up a medical clinic, and excitement (and a sore body) from participating in the most epic dance party I have ever been a part of! I learned more about myself, my faith, and the character of people in those three days than I thought possible, however I don’t think that I can remember much of what the speakers talked about. It goes to show that experience really is the best teacher.

To expound on a few of those highlights, I would like to start by saying that I hope and pray that anyone who has even an ounce of racist tendencies will look very closely at their own hearts and lives and let them go. The reason being, I now know first hand what it feels like to be discriminated against for absolutely no reason, based on nothing but stereotypes of other white people that have been buried in their minds and dwelled upon creating anger and resentment towards innocent people. Now, that being said, I would have you know that 90 percent of the people at camp were very welcoming, outgoing, and excited about our presence. However, the remaining 10 percent had no qualms about letting us know that they were unhappy about our being there. So please, I beg you to examine your own attitudes towards those who are different than you, whether they are black, green, purple, handicapped, homeless, or addicted. Jesus made no exceptions in those he chose to pour his love out on and instructed us even to love our enemies. God’s grace and forgiveness is abundant for all people and we should follow his example and allow his love to pour through us in the same unlimited fashion.

To make another point, I would also like to say that there is great importance in hospitality towards newcomers, especially within the church. But as the newcomer, you must also be willing to go out on a limb, step out of your comfort zone, and make the effort to meet new people. As many of you probably know, I have been a member of the same church since I was 6 years old and it is my home, the members are my family. Until this weekend, I didn’t really know what it felt like to be the new person. However, I did not just sit back and expect people to come to me. I sought out people to sit with, introduced myself to everyone who would listen, and even went so far as to dance with them for 2 straight hours, becoming a sweaty mess while we all laughed and carried on together. In the end, it paid off and I had the privilege of meeting a lot of great people, making some new friends, and creating hilarious irreplaceable memories. Every situation is what you make of it, and while it is reasonable to have certain expectations of loving members reaching out to others in the church, the end result is really in your hands.

All in all, I am very glad that I went, I learned so much, and even got a few compliments on my attempts at dancing! Great experience… great weekend.

As always though, I still missed my kiddos at home and was so glad to see them. There are two kids I’d like to introduce you to today. One of a few sets of siblings here at the home, Janet (15) and Isaac (11) are a beautiful part of our home. Janet keeps herself busy reading all kinds of books while Isaac will surely grow up one day to be a football (soccer) star! They are great with each other and set a good example of brotherly love for the other siblings within the home. Pray for them, their individual well-being, and their bond as family!

3 comments:

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Well, I am sobbing as I read and reread and make an attempt to comment meaningfully on your blog. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! And, how great our Lord is to allow you to have been a part of it - the good and the not so good.

As always, thank you for your words, your time and your insight, Lindsay.

I have been somewhat on that challenging side of the whole racial issue and I totally agree that I have never been the same since. Not fitting in, not being reached out to, not understanding what is being said, not understanding why, being very aware that there is little (and maybe nothing) you can do to change it....UGH! And, worse yet, there are many (myself included previously) who think that breaking the barriers just takes a smile. So not true. The dynamics are huge and go way beyond a handshake. In fact, the whole issue reminds me somewhat (in an odd way) how we can't possibly fully know how God feels, thinks, etc. because His ways are so much greater than ours. In the case of prejudice, there is no way we can understand the thinking of those who oppose/oppress but, of course, not because of being greater but rather because of the senselessness, hopelessness, and tragedy of it all.

On a lighter note, please check this out if you have access. I am sure you'll learn a few moves for the next time you create a 'sweaty mess' while dancing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfe8YTd6N4

Here's another great one to check out especially in light of our human tendency to prejudge.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

I will be praying for you to get back in the groove of things quickly and for the preparation of your heart and the hearts of the children in the upcoming weeks.

Rejoicing with you - Laurie

Felicia Gifty Ofori-Atta said...

Lindsay, I am a Ghanaian sponsor of 3 lovely kids at Haven of Hope. I visited Haven of Hope 2 years ago where I met Lorella and most of the teachers and "mothers" as well as the children.
I write to say thank you for leaving your comfort zone, your beloved family and friends to help these children in a faraway country. Trust me, what you have given to the children will not go unrewarded. I know and am confident that our awesome Lord will give you the crown of glory right here on His earth.
With regards to the racism you experienced, please note that most Ghanaian folks are loving and very welcoming. I find it surprising that any Ghanaian will so much as depict any sign of racism towards a white person be it a a "missionary" like yourself or any person for that matter. Ghanaians are known for their humility, warm spirit and affection. I am sure something might have been misinterpreted or misunderstood. While I am not holding brief nor making excuses for these few folks, please accept my sincerest apologies and know that majority of Ghanaians if not the whole of Ghana appreciate any help that organizations like Every Child Ministries, World Vision, etc. are contributing to the disadvantaged in Ghana. Do not allow a few folks to discourage your good work in the Lord. You are a blessing to the children and to the whole country of Ghana. The fact that some white Americans spat on my face when I first arrived in America, does not imply that all whites in America are racists. God forbid. My most beloved and best friends are from Virginia. Christian friends that I would do anything for and vice versa. Trust me our Lord loves what you are doing in HIS name, and so does every Ghanaian christian. Don't be discouraged, just know that there are a few bad apples in every apple garden.
We (as in the country Ghana) love and appreciate what you have done and continue to do for these Ghanaian underprivileged children. Our Lord adores you so do we. Blessings always

Lindsay Hendrix said...

Just to clarify, Felicia, my experiences thus far over the past 8 months of being in Ghana have been just that, warm, welcoming, and friendly. It was an unfortunate situation at that single time and place that simply opened my eyes to the plight that others experience for more often in other areas of the world. I thank you for your apologies and praise, and would like to say thank you to you as well for sacrificing monthly to sponsor our children! We couldn't do it without you!