Thursday, April 30, 2009

Missing my Wingman

Tomorrow night I am losing my right hand man. Elise has been with me since the moment I stepped off the plane here in Ghana over 8 months ago. We have gone through everything together, both the good and the bad. We figured out how to get around the city and how to survive in a vastly different culture. We danced our hearts out at camp, and celebrated every major holiday together. We also have shared every frustration with regards to the kids and our feelings of missing home. We have experienced real Christian community and authentic fellowship. Now, she suddenly has to leave early in order to be with her family as her grandmother’s health is rapidly declining and the doctors don’t give her much more than a few days to live. That leaves Elise in a lot of pain and me still here, alone, for the last 6 weeks of my stay. I must admit that I’m nervous. I’m not so much nervous about getting around by myself or staying in our house alone. I’m a big girl and I was always the navigator anyways (sorry Elise but you know it’s true), but I am nervous about what God is going to do with me in the next six weeks. Recently I have been really craving social interaction with others my own age, and just as I start to feel that longing, the ONLY other person my age is taken completely out of the picture. I almost feel as though this is my final test. I’ve survived so far and relied on God for his strength and provision, but I’ve also had the unending support of a great friend. Now completely on my own, how will I fare? Will I falter? Will I thrive? God, test me and use me according to your perfect will. May my faith not be reliant upon that of those around me. May I stand firm on my own two feet and finish out my time here with a boldness, confidence, and strength that literally come from no one but You.

And friends, please pray for Aisha this week. She is a bright girl and loving sister to our handsome little Gabriel. She is athletic and witty, hard-working and hilarious. Keep this beautiful 11 year old in mind this week, as well as Elise and her family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you but you are not alone! God has gone before you and will lead you through the next six weeks to strengthen you. NOW, you REALLY are going to feel like you have earned your GHANA Badge!! I believe Elise leaving early is part of God's plan to help you start to disengage a bit and will make the hard goodbye maybe a tad easier. Randy's dad's time is limited, his lung cancer has spread to his brain. They are taking him on a last fishing trip this weekend. KLB are so sad to be losing yet another grandparent. How about that Swine FLU? Take care, love you! Kerry

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Dear Lindsay,

When I read that Elise would be leaving, this verse almost immediately came to mind.....I will go before you and make the rough places smooth: I will shatter the doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars. I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden wealth of secret places, so that you, Lindsay Hendrix, will know that it is I, the Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by name. Isaiah 45:2-3

Alleluia! Amen!

You are now officialy on my daily prayer 'hit list'! Laurie