Friday, April 24, 2009

Slowing down, seeing stars!

Something that has been both a source of enjoyment and annoyance since being in Ghana has been the drastic change of pace. Back home in the States, it seems the philosophy is to get as much accomplished in a single day as possible. I was no exception. I can even recall my brother asking me in college if I had more hours in a day than a normal person. However, my lifestyle has taken quite the turn in a culture where time is of little importance and it seems the only thing people really need to do in a day is cook. While this has been slightly frustrating for a multi-tasker of my nature, it is something I have also come to appreciate. A side-effect of that slower paced lifestyle and living in a remote setting has been that in the evenings, there is little to no light pollution from big businesses or busy streets, allowing the stars to be seen more vibrantly than I have ever seen them! What a magnificent way that God has chosen to reveal His awesome nature to us.

“To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One. Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one and calls them each by name.” ~ Isaiah 40:25-26

“When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” ~ Psalms 8:3-4

God’s very nature and presence can be seen in His creation day in and day out and I know that He has revealed marvelous things to me over the last 8 months through these children at Haven of Hope, created in His very own image.

One of those creations is our very own Bequin. He is a handsome little 10 year old with long skinny legs and knobby knees who can kick my butt in a 100-yard dash any day of the week. He is lively and hilarious, quite the character, but also shows a softer side in little notes he writes to Elise and I. He is a precious boy and I ask that you pray for him and his well-being as you continue through your week!

1 comment:

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Good Evening! Boy, am I loving the phrase 'light pollution'. I have been struggling for a few years with how 'polluted' the Valley has become - not just with the brown haze or lights at night but with the pace of life. When we moved out here in '93, the appeal was great because of the slower pace the area offered. Now, keep in mind that this was in comparison to having spent 40 years in Chicago. I can still recall people telling me how horribly long it was going to take to get to the airport because of the 'heavy' traffic. I would be chuckling because this was not how I defined 'heavy traffic' at all. And, 20 minutes later, I was pulling in to Sky Harbor (instead of the usual more than an hour plus several tolls on the Toll Road).

Well, enough of me sounding like a grandma (aka walking to school uphill in snow for hours - ha ha).

Just got back from hearing a presentation by a missions team that had recently returned from Mexico. They shared the story of a pastor in a remote village who was working on a Bible translation and would walk 7 hours to the bus station and then take a 13 hour bus trip in order to meet with other translators. And, this didn't bother him in the least. Talk about a change of pace!

Made me think of the 'beauty of simplicity' and having just the right pace and just enough. Proverbs 30:8-9 (New International Version)
8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. 9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD ?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

To Him be the glory! Laurie