Sunday, May 17, 2009

Life to the FULLEST

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the fullest.”

In this passage in John, Jesus is giving an analogy of the Shepherd and His flock, referring to his saving grace and the life that comes through salvation offered only by Him. Additionally, in Matthew, as Jesus is instructing the crowds how to pray, he says:

“Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

To me, this means that the fullness of life does not have to wait. It is not something that begins only at death, but a glimpse of his kingdom is available to us now on earth! What does that “life to the full” look like though? I believe that it begins with the little things. The other day, I had gone into town and was getting back in the late afternoon. I arrived at my trotro stop about a mile and a half from our home and the weather looked clear as I began my walk down the road. However, due to the fact that we are now back in the rainy season and the weather is very temperamental, it started pouring down rain while I was still a half mile out. I walked that last half mile becoming a human mop and splashing mud on the back of my legs with my sandals, but in the midst of it, I was ultimately very happy. I laughed at the situation and found myself singing, thinking “there is nothing better than this”. If you can see God’s hand in everything and find joy despite circumstances, then that is life to the full. The beautiful thing though is that is only where it begins… there are no limits to the freedom of that life in Him!

This week there are 4 children, 2 sets of siblings that I’d like to introduce you to. The first, Sammy (5) and Kwame (9), came from very desperate situations on the streets over a year ago. They are both very energetic and precious boys who are always eager to help, but also quick to get into trouble! The second is yet another new addition to our family… Ama (2) and Prince (4). Please pray for these precious young ones this week!

2 comments:

Dana said...

I love reading your blog, Lindsay! God has definitely given you a joyful and generous spirit! Are you sure you don't want to stay another year? ;)

Oh, and the kids are so cute! :)

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

Good Morning! I am enjoying some 'liquid sunshine' here in Phoenix. As you know, most Phoenicians don't know what to do when it rains so I plan to leave for work about 15 minutes early - ha ha.

Speaking of rain, I love the story of your recent wet experience - especially as to what it has to say about what is or isn't 'good'. A downpour in AZ can be a tremendous blessing as our reservoirs are replenished or a tragedy when a flash flood sweeps someone away. It can be tons of fun when you are in shorts and a tshirt and can run down the street splashing in the puddles or not quite so fun when you are dressed for work and have no umbrella.

So, it seems we also have to be in the right place in our lives and doing the 'right' things to enjoy the life He has given us to the fullest i.e., don't drive or walk through a flash flood area or check the weather forecast and keep an umbrella handy.

Now, to expound even further on this thought, here is one of my favorite verses from 1 Thessalonians starting mid-verse 10....But we urge you, brothers and sisters, to do so more and more, 4:11 to aspire to lead a quiet life, to attend to your own business, and to work with your hands, as we commanded you. 4:12 In this way you will live a decent life before outsiders and not be in need.

Now, that verse really rocks my world and I find real peace and joy in it but I have had others say to me how could I enjoy such a dry verse when there are so many other verses that just explode with His joy?

I can only answer that it is the way we are tweaked by Him and where He has us in our life. And, that is just fine with me. Each day, I am in full agreement with you...IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!

I am going to be out of town for the next 8 days without access to email. This seems both good and bad! Because email is one more thing to think about that adds to the busy-ness of life, I dream of an email-less world. Yet, it has become quite a lifeline and actually essential for some of life today (for example if you want to apply for many jobs today). A necessary 'evil' so to speak.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how long I can go before I start looking for an empty PC terminal. Just wondering how long it will take me to get out of the 'I better check email' mode.

Unfortunately, I will probably miss your weekly blog and the opportunity to respond but know that I will be praying for you and the children during this time of change, Lindsay. And, I am praying for your safe return home. I am also praising the Lord for your health during this time in Ghana and what appears to be endless energy! Laurie