Saturday, May 23, 2009

Trust and Obey, there is no other way

The past couple weeks have proven to be great object lessons in obedience and trust.

Ever since we attended camp with the youth from Calvary Baptist, it has really been on my heart (as I have written previously) to make a connection between them and the children at our home for a variety of reasons. So, in obedience to what I felt like I was being called to do, I got up in front of the church and spoke for a short time about Haven of Hope, what I’ve been doing here for the past 9 months, and invited everyone to come and join us in a “Happy Birthday Everybody” celebration the following weekend, May 16th. I asked that anyone who was interested see me after church so that we could have an idea of how many to expect. There were only 4 people who got my contact information and expressed interest. Extremely disappointed, I went ahead with the party planning and resolved myself to the fact that we were going to have a heck of a time whether or not anyone came to join us. And we did! We had music and dancing and cupcakes and ice cream and enjoyed ourselves very much. The 4 people who said they wanted to come did show up and enjoyed themselves as well. However, a couple hours into the party, 2 taxis pulled up at our gate and 11 boys poured out. Evidently on the same day that I spoke to the Youth Chapel, our pastor also announced it to the Teen Chapel. These 11 teenage boys transformed the party, really engaged the kids, played an epic soccer game, and their presence meant more to our kids than they may ever know. Many expressed a definite desire to come again and it was a great success in every possible way, despite my doubts. Obedience is one thing, but learning to trust that the Lord will work in your obedience is quite another.

It is funny to me how I can teach my own students certain things, yet not always believe them myself. A lesson I find myself repeating often is the plea for obedience. I also want them to understand that I do not ask them to do things “just because”. Every rule and therefore every act of obedience has a purpose. More often than not around here it is to keep the children safe and healthy. I say these things so often that the kids have begun to say them to each other, but when it comes to believing that God has a purpose when he asks me to do certain things, I struggle. He has a plan. I just need to understand that every act of obedience is part of a bigger plan, not “just because”. Faith and trust in my God need to both precede and follow my obedience, because He is good.

Please pray this week for Fausia. She is a hyper, hilarious 14 year old. She is a great dancer and a good student, but more than anything, I would say that she is a good friend.

1 comment:

truth hope heal family nature eternity laurie said...

I'M BACK! And, so glad to be able to catch up on the latest Ghana blogs.
Here are a couple of quotes that the Lord sent my way recently.....I trust you will find them meaningful, especially at this point in your time at Haven of Hope.

• Nothing that does not occur on a daily basis will ever dominate your life. Ralph Winter

• The secret of harmony is each wanting God's will for the other instead of having their own way. Evelyn Christenson

• Growth is the goal of the Christian. Maturity is mandatory. If you are the same Christian you were a few months ago, be careful. Max Lucado

• The time is always right to do what is right. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lindsay, I do pray that these quotes will bless you and challenge you and ground you and, maybe most importantly, affirm you. What I realized as I was typing these words to you is that you have lived these quotes during your Haven of Hope days. All praise to the King of Kings for His faithfulness!

Rejoicing - Laurie

P.S. I am praying that the students will look to the hope they have in Christ more than anything during these last days with you.